“Print to PDF” does not mean to take the hard copy of the required PDF from the printer. Here, to “Print” a PDF means to save something to PDF file.
Printing to a PDF file is much faster than using any of Conversion tools. It is very helpful as most of the people share their information in PDF file format as well as you can also save an offline copy of a web page.
I am going to present multiple ways through which you can be able to save something to PDF.
Read More: How to Convert PDF Files to JPG Format
If the operating system or a program in use does not include support for the PDF printing. There are numerous third-party tools that can help you in saving anything to PDF.
Method 1: Use the Built-in PDF Printer
Here are different methods through which you can save something to a PDF file depending on the type of operating system you are using.
1. Windows 10
In Windows 10, Microsoft has been providing a built-in PDF printer named as Microsoft Print to PDF.
If you want to print to a PDF, you need to go through the regular printing process but select PDF option instead of a physical printer and then select the position where you want to save it.
If you are not seeing “print to PDF” printer in Windows, then follow these steps to install it.
- Go to Power User Menu by pressing Win+X from a keyboard.
- Select Settings > Devices > Printers & scanners > Add a printer or scanner.
- Then follow the link named The printer that I want isn’t listed.
- Click on Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings.
- Under Use an existing port option, Choose FILE: (Print to File).
- Select Microsoft, under the Manufacturer section
- Under Printers, go for Microsoft Print To PDF.
- Follow the wizard of Add Printer and accept every default option to add PDF printer to Windows 10.
Numerous versions of Linux Operating System provides similar options as like in Windows 10 when printing a document.
- Select Print to File rather than selecting a regular printer.
- Choose PDF as the output format.
- Give a name and location to PDF files, and then select the Print button to save it to the PDF format.
You can install a third party tool if your Linux Operating System does not support a PDF printing by default.
3. Google Chrome
- Press Ctrl+P or tap on the menu (the three horizontally stacked dots) and select Print…
- Under the Destination section, select the Change button.
- Select Save as PDF from the list.
- Give name and location to file and then click Save.
4. Safari on macOS
- Tap on File > Print or press Command+P shortcut from the keyboard.
- Choose a drop-down menu from PDF drop-down option located on the bottom left side of the print dialog box, and select Save as PDF…
- Other options like add the PDF to iBooks, save it to iCloud, email the PDF or send it through Messages app.
- Give a name and location to save the PDF file.
5. iOS (iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch)
iOS devices from Apple have PDF printer option available and you do not have the to install any third party app.
Apple’s devices use iBooks app to provide PDF printer option, if you do not own one, you need to install it.
- Select the desired web page, which you want to save in PDF format.
- Click on Share option in your web browser (Safari, Opera, etc.) to for opening a new menu.
- Select Save PDF to iBooks.
- The PDF file will be created and saved to iBooks app automatically.
6. Google Docs
You might know about Google Docs, as it is most widely used word processing tool and it has great PDF printing abilities.
- Open the Google doc.
- Select File > Download as > PDF Document (.pdf).
- The PDF file will be automatically downloaded to your device’s default download location.
Method 2: Install a Free PDF Printer
If the Operating System or a program that you are using that does not support default PDF printer, then you need to install a third party PDF printer application. There are a lot of programs that can be installed for printing anything to PDF file.
Once the virtual printer is installed, it will be located next to any other printer and you can be able to use it just like other standard physical printers.
Obviously, every PDF printer has its own functionality as well as different options, some PDF printers might immediately save the document to PDF but some printers ask you how you want to save the PDF files such as compression options, where to save the PDF, etc).
Here are is a list of some PDF printer tools:
You need to be very careful while installing some of these PDF printers especially PDFlite.
The reason is that such programs ask you to install some other harmful programs that you do not want to have for using PDF printer. You do have the option to skip them, as you will be asked to install or skip them.
In the Linux Operating System, you can install these program by the following command in the terminal to install CUPS-PDF.
sudo apt-get install cups-pdf
The saved PDFs will be stored in /home/user/PDF.
Method 3: Use a Conversion Tool Instead
Let us discuss another method for printing a webpage to PDF, in this method you need not to install any third party printer.
Therefore, here we are going to see how Online PDF printers can be used for printing web page to PDF.
While using an online PDF printer, you just need to enter URL of a particular web page into an online converter. The online converter will immediately save the particular web page to the PDF format.
One thing to be noted is that both of these PDF printers leave a watermark on a downloaded PDF file.
Moreover, you can also install Print Friendly & PDF add on to Firefox for printing a web page to PDF format without installing any malicious programs.
If you are using a mobile device, your device might be having a built in PDF converter rather than uploading a PDF into any website. UrlToPDF is an Android app that can be used to convert web pages to PDF.
This file printer program allows you to print DOCX file to PDF without opening it via DOCX viewer.